UConn has arrived at the Bradley Center to take on Marquette.
A few notes before the teams tip on ESPNU and WTIC-AM:.
– HERE IS TODAY’S story from the JI previewing the game.
– THE BUILDING may not be as lively as past UConn-Marquette games. An MU official said they expect about 10,000 fans in the seats. That’s not bad but it’s not the 17,000 screaming bodies that have greeted UConn in the past here.
It’s Jan. 1, obviously, which could hurt attendance. The Marquette students are on break, and it’s no clear how many will return for this one. Also, Wisconsin is playing in the Rose Bowl right now (though losing). Many locals will want to watch the end of that one before leaving their homes.
– MARQUETTE WILL TURN to assistant coach Brad Autry to coach tonight. Buzz Williams is serving a one-game suspension for recruiting violations committed by his assistant.
I had thought Marquette assistant Jerry Wainwright would get the call to coach tonight but no.
– LOOKS LIKE Tyler Olander will remain in the starting lineup at center. Why not?
– A GOOD STAT tweeted by my colleague Gavin Keefe that I was aware of by kind of forgot: UConn hasn’t had a winning Big East record since 2008-09.
UConn’s Big East Records in recent years:
Two things stick out: Obviously, there’s a national championship in there and a Big East Tournament run. Second: UConn’s dreams of winning a Big East title this season seem even more far-fetched. Though, perhaps no more far fetched than five wins in five days, I guess.